Oct 6, 2015

Voting for dummies.

In an effort to produce content, I”m cleaning out my drafts queue, trying to finish all those snippets and the like and somehow keep you mildly entertained...

I started this nugget back in ’09 sometime.

America’s rude awakening.
Maybe it’s the cynic in me but, I’m really amazed by the level of stupidity in people.

I understand people are excited and everything about it being Election Day and all that but the thing I find astounding is this gleeful, boastful attitude of I VOTED!

...AND?

So you voted, big deal! What, you want a medal? You exercised a privilege a lot of people usually take for granted.

Oh... wait a sec! I’ve got it... you voted in a Presidential election!

Moron.

Yes, moron.

Moron because for many Americans of voting age, the only way they can be motivated to get their ass down to the polls is for a Presidential election.

One of the odd ways I’ve made money over the last few years is by being a poll worker. This is perhaps one of the easiest ways a person can make money - why?

Because you fuckers just can’t bring yourselves to get off your lazy assess and vote. Or, better still, you wait until we are about to propel the next ineffectual clown into the White House because you think somehow President equates to king in our nation and the guy who moves his family into the nice address on Pennsylvania Avenue can do anything and everything he or she wants.

Fast fact: Your vote? That one shining moment when you have the chance to really influence what goes on in our country, a rare privilege a lot of people the planet over don’t get a chance to exercise? Well it has a helluva lot more influence in a primary or local election than it ever does in a Presidential election.

In the last Presidential election, 129,235,000 so think about your vote, 1 in a 9 figure number.

You know how many people voted at our polling place in the last primary election?

4.

So if you voted in that primary election at least at my polling place you carried with you an incredible 25% of the vote!

But... people are stupid. Hence the word moron.

And even if people do find the wherewithal to drag their asses down to their local polling place, chances are more than likely they have done little or no research on the person they are pulling the lever for.

No, time and again they’ll just yank on the lever (or at least they used to yank on the lever before we got these crappy new voting machines) of the party to which they most ascribe. Even then, there is no nuance, it’s just an emissary in most cases of one of the two major parties - groups which have these somewhat amorphous qualities that the person in question attributes to themselves, whether or not they have any actual basis in reality.

Now, you can park your ass in front of the TV and watch Fox news or CNBC (again along whatever party you have aligned yourself with) and work yourself into a frenzy about what the ‘other’ guys are doing to take this country down a wrong path, make manifest everything that is wrong with our country and you can do this because it is easier, easier because parking your ass there doesn’t really require even the smallest effort on your part.

Back when I was a teen, I read Robert Heinlein’s Starship Troopers - it has been roundly criticized in many quarters but one of the interesting concepts put forth in it was that only those who did some form of volunteer federal service had the right to vote (the federal service need not be military).

Something in that even back when I was reading it struck a chord in me and I found there to be logic in the idea of people who had a vested interest in a society, who had proven this through a form of sacrifice and a willingness to be involved should be the very same people who guide that society.

Sounds crazy but if only those who served in this manner were allowed to run for office or vote do you really think we would so readily be talking about war and putting Americans in harm’s way?

In the meantime, the uninformed voter is as bad as the no-show voter - do yourself a favor before voting in any election by visiting this site: http://lwv.org/



No comments: